Sunday, April 17, 2011

Mired

Each day now bring with it a set of review exercises. Much like they did when I first encountered them, these fly off the shelf. It helps that upon review I only have to complete 1/10 of the problems.

The remaining exercises are becoming a bit tedious. Functions 3, for example, involves simple algebra and arithmetic, but there are numerous steps that are intended to check your attention to detail. I set out with completing the entire set of 10 exercise problems, but I usually mess up on the 2nd or 3rd. My mistakes are easy to find, but frustrating to deal with. I suppose one part of mathematical training is an attention to detail, but I don't have the patience for it. I am stuck. I need more time to finish my quest.

In the meantime I have been hounding away at Vocabulary.com. I want to reach 1,000,000 points and 1000 mastered words. I am 1/4 of the way through the points, and almost 2/10's of the way through the words. Vocabulary.com is quicker, much like the pace I began with at Khan. Today, reading a few pages in the book "Cosmos" by Sagan, I came upon 6 words I had recently come across on Vocabulary.com. I think the site is a great tool, but not to be used in isolation.

I have 22 exercises left on Khan. Let me look at them more carefully.

Here are exercises I will have to learn, hopefully by hints, and if not then by videos:
Quotient Rule
Product Rule (I might know it)
Chain Rule 1
Special Derivatives
Expressions with Unknown Variables 1 and 2
Inverse Trig Functions
Trig Identities
Limits 1
Limits 2

Here are sets that I know but are tedious to complete:
Functions 3
Kinematic Equations
The 3 word problems: Age, Average, Arithmetic

Here are sets I need a refresher on:
Limits 1
Limits 2

Anyway, I am going to get on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment